The Little Blue Triumph

I rescued my 1967 Triumph TR4-A from a dilapidated one-car detached garage in Waukee, IA during the fall of 1977. It was not running and had some minor damage to the left rear wheel. I towed it back to Indianola behing my 1969 Grand Prix using a sturdy rope. We were living in a two bedroom apartment above a guitar shop on the town square at the time. The only parking space available to us was a block away in a small lot across the street from the police station. That had to suffice as my “garage”.

I don’t recall precisely what was wrong with the motor but it must have been minor because I began driving it shortly thereafter. The damage to the wheel was a little more problematic, the trailing arm on the independent rear suspension was bent and as a result the car travelled down the road slightly askew. This did not really affect the handling of the car but it did have a significant effect on tire wear and looked a little peculiar. I eventually replaced the trailing arm.

I got a tremendous amount of enjoyment from driving the little blue beastie and had a lot of memorable exeriences with it. can ivermectin for cattle be used on cats I was attending college in Ankeny at the time and had a 50 mile round trip to make on a daily basis. On a typical fall morning I would unzip the tonneau cover on the drivers side, pop open the air vent and enjoy the warmed air that was forced through the heater and trapped underneath the cover while I drove through the crisp autumn air to class.

The old TR had one major flaw; a stock AM radio and cheesy little speaker. Music was important to me back then but being newlyweds and going to school did not allow for luxuries like an am/fm 8-track player. So I improvised by borrowing Ronda’s little Sony stereo am/fm radio. We didn’t call them boomboxes back then but it was certainly a precursor. It sat behind the seats and as long as I kept a halfway fresh set of four C cell batteries it managed to produce credible sound.

Eventually, oil consumption became a problem and I was leaving clouds of blue smoke everywhere I went. Then the clutch finally gave out. By then I had quit college for awhile and we were living in a one bedroom apartment above a dentist office in Osceola. ivermec for capillary worms The office was actually a converted home and we had the entire upstairs and the full use of the garage. I spent the better part of the winter and spring removing the engine and rebuilding it. ivermectin tabletta kutyáknak By late spring it was back on the road again.

We moved to Des Moines that summer and I went back to school up in Ames. We had a border collie named Mandy that loved to go for rides with the top down. Money was scarce in those days and I remember driving it for several months with the starter gone bad. I would always back the TR up to the garage at night so I could roll down the driveway in the morning and pop the clutch to get it started. Coming home usually required snagging an unsuspecting passer-by and soliciting a little push.

Most of my repair parts came from a great fellow who always seemed to have two or three Triumphs at any given time. Bob Madden collected Triumphs and other interesting cars and always seemed to have what I needed buried somewhere in his garage.

I finally sold it in the fall of 1980. It will always remain one of my high points of automobile ownership.

One thought on “The Little Blue Triumph

  1. I can’t believe you towed that car all the way from waukee to indianola with a grand prix and a ROPE.

Comments are closed.